Thursday, October 19, 2017

When We Fall Out of Love With Writing...


The romance of writing is that sudden flush of inspiration, when a story, character, or idea grabs hold of your entire soul until you have to rush to your paper or keyboard and write it down. “Romance” is the correct word to use, too, since it’s not hyperbolic to call it a love affair. Sometimes it’s merely a crush, but at other times it’s truly love at first sight: a woman whose eyes make you dream of being better than you are, or a man whose voice gives you goosebumps when you imagine him speaking your name. Anyone who writes can relate to that feeling, after having written five or six pages in white-heat, when you look up from the page and think, “my god, I’m actually a writer! I’m in the middle of writing a book!” The whole world makes sense, or at least you do, as you float through it, no longer seeing a distinction between the world outside your door and the one in your mind. It’s all grist for the mill, raw material to construct the elaborate castles and cathedrals of your imagination to stand for all time. 

And then it stops. You run out of ideas. Or the scene no longer makes sense. Or the characters stop talking to you. Somehow, inspiration drops off, like a lover who will no longer return your calls. You look, anxiously, at the phone to see if a new message has appeared or better yet, if the cryptic “. . . “ is hovering by the person’s face. But waiting alone will never bring back the Muse. Once the well runs dry, you can sit and wait in vain, but the words will never come. Not until you make them start writing again. And that takes excruciating, often mind-altering resolve which is beset by doubt and self-recrimination at every turn. No writer has satisfactorily answered the question, how do you keep writing after you’ve lost the inspiration to write?

For this is what truly makes a writer. Everyone knows someone who “wrote” at some point. They have the beginning of a novel. A few short stories. An unfinished screenplay. The rough draft of a book which they haven’t glanced at in years (though they’re going to, any day now). When you ask them why they haven’t finished it, the answer is usually, “I just forgot about it,” or “I lost interest,” or “I just don’t have time anymore.” Funny how all these statements can equally be said about a failed relationship: “We just didn’t have time to spend together anymore, our lives are too busy...I started taking him/her for granted...the magic just left our relationship.” A serial monogamist is someone who simply can’t make the time for a relationship, who doesn’t want to believe that love is as much mundane as it is magical. For every day of beauty you have ten days of drudgery. Some days you don’t even like your partner; some days he/she completely despises you.

But a relationship isn’t measured in single days or temporary failures. After fifteen years, if you can look back and see the things you’ve built together, the tragedies you’ve endured together, and have someone who despite it all is still there, still willing to give you a hand, then that is a work of art. And the same is true of writing. Some days you can’t write, some days the art seems too much like toil, and you have to throw up your hands. Eventually, however, you have to find your way back, a way to remember why you fell in love in the first place, and who this mysterious person staring back at you like a stranger truly is. What works, what ideas, what dreams, and what delusions first besotted your thoughts? Love might be an illusion, but it’s an illusion that works—and the same is true of writing. It creates a fiction that looks and functions the same as reality, to the point that we often ask the question, does art imitate life or life imitate art?

In Orhan Pamuk’s essay, “The Implied Author,” he writes of the ease of losing touch with your work and watching it slink out of your grasp. As he explains, “It is not difficult to dream a book. I do this a lot, just as I spend a great deal of time imagining myself as someone else. The difficult thing is to become your book’s implied author. Perhaps all the more so in my case because I only want to write big, thick, ambitious novels, and because I write so very slowly.

What he means by this is that when you start writing a work, you are the implied author, the person who is ideally suited to write this book or story. However, life gets in the way: you pay bills, you go to work or school, you have arguments, you watch movies, you read other books. In short, you forget who you were when you started writing. And just like love, you suddenly find yourself five years into a relationship that neither party seems to have time for. So who were you when you were the ideal, the perfect, the implied partner for that book? That’s how you find your way back to inspiration—remembering the circumstances and situations that first threw you together in the first place.

For me, the implied author of my books is usually the person I am in the summer. For most of the year, I’m the implied professor: I teach, I grade, I read, I plan future classes. Writing comes in fits and starts, and it’s hard to enter fully into the world of play and make-believe required of a serious novelist. Only when the classes fall away and I lose my identity as a teacher can I begin to recall who I was—or who I am—as a writer. When the sun becomes a bit more intense and the skies darken to that pitiless shade of blue, then I can remember what it means to write a book without ego or distractions. That’s when the book most calls to me, and I am able to lose myself in characters and plots and metaphors.

Until then, I’m often doomed to gaze at the work between panes of glass, seeing without touching, learning without feeling. It all feels curiously abstract and distant. But of course, that’s the best time to start hammering a work into shape—when you don’t care for it at all. Perhaps that’s why we lose inspiration and fall out of love with a work...so we can learn to love it all over again?

No comments:

Post a Comment